Em turned 10 a couple of weeks ago. It's been a time of reflection.
I keep thinking, what would I tell that poor, frightened, sick, anxious, mess of a mother I was when little Em came along all those years ago? Here are some things I've come up with:
- Get your act together, this is normal, this is just what having kids is. It will all come together.
- Stop trying to breastfeed, it's making your child hungry and is literally driving you insane.
- Bond with that baby and love her no matter what. Do whatever it takes to do that, the rest will work itself out.
- Realize how strong and capable you are.
- Start enjoying her, she's lovely.
- She'll be big before you know it and she'll love you so much.
- Accept the good times and the bad, they all pass.
- Have some time for yourself, the baby will be ok.
- Embrace being a mother it's the best thing you'll ever do.
- Let go of who you were, you'll never be that person again, but you'll be bigger, stronger, wiser and more alive.
- Make some friends and get some help.
- Don't take on too many things, being a mother takes up a lot of time and that's ok.
- Forget what everyone else is doing and saying, no-one has ever mothered YOUR child before.
- When you have 2 kids, you still find the strength to manage.
- Be kind to yourself, it all turns out ok ....
What would you say to your New-Mum-Self if you had the chance?